Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dancing with myself

I am so dog tired today so I'm not sure how entertaining this will be.

I think it has something to do with the baking I did last night. I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a playdate today and I love to bake so it really isn't a chore. I think what made me tired was the unreasonable amount of cookies I devoured today.

See, this is how it goes. I bake 5 dozen cookies. Then I'm not sure if they are any good so I have to taste them. I'm still not sure, so I enlist the help of my husband and ask him to taste. He says they are delicious, but I don't believe him. So I try another. When I determine that they are good, I start packing them away in containers.

About 2/3rds of the way through, I realize the container I chose isn't large enough to accomodate 5 dozen cookies. But I keep trying with different containers, all to no avail.

And so the ritual begins.

Let's call it the "Pretend I'm surprised when I really know better and I've been through this a million times" dance.

Step 1 Bake cookies as small as possible. Smaller cookies means you can trick your brain into believing that eating 15 small cookies is nowhere near as bad as eating 4 regular size ones.

Step 2 Test cookies repeatedly until you are certain they are tasty. After cookies have cooled completely, perform another taste test with your evening cup of tea.

Step 3 Attempt to store cookies in containers that can only hold 4.5 dozen cookies. Store remaining cookies in your stomach.

Step 4 Prepare cookies on a serving plate. Check for freshness by eating a few more.

Step 5 Serve cookies. Allow your guests to indulge themselves first, then eat some yourself to reassure your guests that you are not trying to poison them.

Step 6 Send some cookies away with your guests. Give most of them away, but hang on to some.


After all, they were darn good cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment