Friday, January 19, 2007

6:12 is not a bible reference

It's been a few days since I've been inspired to write in this journal. In fact, it's been hard to get inspired to do anything.

As we all know, being a mom is a tough job. We are always on the clock, taking care of home and kids, and rarely taking time for ourselves. I've been so tired the last few days, and have been hard-pressed to do anything remotely related to dieting and exercise.

But I got on the scale this morning and was rather pleased to see I've lost two pounds in the last week and half. I've been trying to eat better and exercise when I can, but it's so hard when your kids are up in the middle of the night and you're sleep deprived.

My husband - who I love dearly - had the bright idea to make a suggestion. Whatever possessed him to think he was being helpful by recommending I get up early to get on the treadmill? I know he means well, but he is sometimes simple. He can't help it - he's missing the chromosome that makes women the superior half of the species.

What he doesn't realize is that your children will sabotage your plans. It's what they're meant to do. If you need to be somewhere for 10 am, they will sleep until 930. If you throw out the rotting bananas, they wil want them for supper and have a meltdown because you don't have any. If you buy them the Thomas DVDs they begged for, they will want to watch Cars over and over and over and over...well you get it.

And, as I tried to explain to my husband, if you set your alarm for 6 am, your children will wake up at 612. There is no way on god's green earth that I am going to try to outsmart my children and set the alarm for 530. I know better. They will start waking up at 537 and the pattern will start to be set. Before you know it, one kid is taking a nap mid-morning and the other is taking an afternoon nap. And neither will go to bed at a decent hour. One will be overtired; the other not tired at all. So no time for the treadmill.

Being a man, my husband had a plan "B". He suggested I get on the treadmill when Westin is napping and take Mason into the basement with me. Brilliant!! So I can be on the treadmill and trying to keep a 2 year old off it. That's like paying two dollars to get on the carousel at Chinook and making him stand off to the side just watching the fun. Never gonna happen!!!

So I'm stuck in a rut for the time being. But it's okay, because I have a plan "C".

Tomorrow morning, I am going to set the alarm for 6am. I'm going to quickly change into my workout clothes and head to the basement. I have a very short window, and I need to be in the basement within the next 10 minutes. When my husband has to get up at 612 to get the kids, I'll already be into my workout, blissfully plugged into my MP3 player and oblivious to what's happening upstairs.

Hey, it was his suggestion, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment