Friday, March 2, 2007

I don't know what's wrong with me. I've come off the flu and I'm now recovering from my cold. I stepped on the scale thinking the numbers would have gone down since I haven't had much of an appetite for over a week.

No such luck.

This afternoon, I watched the video of my first wedding. I was about 70 pounds lighter than I am now. What stuck in my mind was how great I felt when I was that thin.

I need to get there again.

I dug out a picture of me at my thinnest and stuck it on the fridge. But I know better than to think that will motivate me.

Growing up, we always had some sort of magnet or device aimed at keeping us away from the fridge. I remember all the magnets:

A moment on the lips, forever on the hips.

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

If you have it now, you'll pay for it later.

Diet is only a four letter word.

And the gadgets:

The pig that oinked when you opened the fridge door.

The bobbly head that stuck to the side of the fridge and went :no: .

The mini recorder that admonished you in your own voice when you opened a cupboard.

None of them worked. Not for me, not for my mother.

What they did do was leave an imprint on my brain. So much so, that I can even recall exactly what they looked like and exactly where they were.

"A moment on the lips, forever on the hips"

This magnet sat on the side of the fridge - next to the magnetic shopping list and the fridge clip that held the chinese food take out menus.

"Nothing tastes as good as think feels"

This one had a chip in the upper right corner. It smacked into wall next to the freezer door one Saturday afternoon when I failed to maintain my balance while trying to stop the ice cream from slipping out of my hands.

"If you have it now, you'll pay for it later" and "Diet is only a four letter word."

Both of these were on the front of the fridge and both were made of that milky cheap plastic. They moved around a lot and were generally used to hold food coupons. Their neighbours were the magnets shaped like ice cream cones, candy floss and licorice bits.

Hey, wait a minute.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment