Friday, June 1, 2007

I must be out of my mind.

Yesterday, I decided to go back on the weight watchers program. It worked so well for me before, so it seemed only right to give it another go.

This morning, I decided to stop smoking. I slapped on a patch and I'm waiting for it to kick in.

So I'm trying to diet and quit smoking at the same time.

Like I said: out of my mind.

Fortunately, the patch will help with the jitters and withdrawal. It's a strange little crutch, but it works. But I find myself rubbing it during the day in a useless effort to get more nicotine through my skin. The patch is not like a toothpase tube: you can't squeeze anything more out of it.

Day one of the diet went pretty smoothly. Except for the head games. Some people would call it a change of thinking, but in my head, it`s just an endless conversation about points.

I thought I would approach my first day differently than I did the last time I tried WW. Instead of checking the points before I decided what to eat, I would decide what to eat and then check the points.

Having done this before, I already knew some point values. But I had to start weighing and measuring everything again. One roast beef sandwich on a small dinner roll looks very lost on a dinner plate. A WW leader once suggested that putting your food on a smaller dish would trick your mind into thinking you were getting more food.

I have no idea whose brain she was referring to, but it was not mine. My brain knows it is getting short -changed. My stomach is fine with it, but the cerebral support is lacking. Tummy has to go it alone.

And there was another problem. The last time I did WW, I started in winter. By the time iced capp and frappucino season came along, I was well into the program and closing in on my goal. This time, I am already addicted.

So the search starts for low-point alternative. No matter how badly I want an iced cap, I am not willing to skip a meal to have it. I think I may have found something - the berry boost at second cup. Only 3 points! Half the points and twice the cost of an iced capp. So it will be a rare treat.

Wish me luck. I just want to tell everyone two things: 1) I am sorry if I am a bear over the next couple of weeks; and 2) please don't look at me funny when I try to smoke my carrot stick. Brain & tummy are fighting....

No comments:

Post a Comment