Saturday, July 7, 2007

When you are overweight, shopping for clothes is rarely a pleasurable experience. For those of you who have never had this issue, let me explain.

When you are plus size, every trip to the fitting room can set off an emotional breakdown. The feeling is something akin to trying on a swimsuit over and over and over....

It probably wouldn't be so bad if the friggin designers could agree on a sizing guideline. It's bad enough that there are discrepancies in kid's clothing, but when you are dealing with a plus size woman, the specs for an 18w and a 20w shouldn't be as wide as the Grand Canyon (no wide jokes please).

I won't mention any company names, because I don't want to be sued. I'll just make a general reference to the type of store.

Let's start with the stores that claim to sell plus size clothing, but really don't. First, there is the challenge of finding the plus section, because in this store it is usually buried behind the clearance rack. Like the company is embarassed to sell anything larger than a 14. Well, they should be embarassed - the 2XL barely made it over my boobs. I can't be certain what size their model was, but I would guess that she was maybe a medium with some monthly bloating.

My next favorite store is the one that carries several different lines in plus size clothing. Someone in the corporate office decided it would be clever to size the in-house brand differently than all the other plus sizes labels. I suppose someone was thinking that sales would boom when women realized they only needed a size 21 and not a 24, assuming of course they had the patience to figure out exactly how the sizing works. Believe me, after trying on 4 pairs of pants to find the right size, I was too exasperated to think about the smaller number.

And by the way, this is the same store where you can buy a pair of blue pants in one size and then need to go 2 sizes larger for the same pants in black.

Next on my list, is the store that has the audacity to charge a higher price for a plus size. Why on earth should I have to pay more because I want the same skirt my skinny friends bought? That's just extortion and I was already pissed off because this store parks the plus section next to the "OMG my grandma would love that sparkly sweatsuit" section.

And last but not least - and this is not unique to any particular store - why is it that some designers assume that if you need a size 22, you must be six feet tall? Overweight women, myself among them, have a tendancy to grow out, not up, you morons. I am tired of having to alter my clothes so that my jeans aren't dragging a foot behind me like a wedding train.

I have to be fair though. There are a handful of stores that manage to get it right. The pants are the right length (god bless the person who came up with plus petite!!). The sizes are all the same regardless of the garment color. And they are priced fairly. There are even some stores that don't carry plus sizes, but are generous with the XXL. And that, to me, is like a lottery win.

No comments:

Post a Comment