Sunday, October 7, 2007

Yoga has been soooo good for me. It has inspired me to take a deep breath every now and then and just focus on the breathing and not what's making me tense. It has also moved me in a positive direction - my muscles are starting to come to life again and I actually got on the treadmill for the first time in months.

Last week, I took it easy on the machine. Like an old friend (who I only like sometimes) I had to get reacquainted with how it works. I put the little magnet key on and nothing - no power, no beeps, no lights. The little power button on the front wasn't lighting up either. I felt light a right idiot when I realized the darn thing wasn't even plugged in.

I really realized how long it's been when I went to put on my running shoes and thought I should shake them out first, just in case some spiders had taken residence. They were clear.

Now let me cut to the chase. I went for leisurely walks on the treadmill last week. In fact, I could have had a coffee in my hand and not spilled a drop but in my defense, the fitness experts tell you to take it easy when you first start an exercise regime. So .

This week I decided I was going to start jogging. I heard about a great website that trains you to be a jogger in 9 weeks. Now to me, that sounds way too ambitious. Most caterpillars take longer than that to grow into a butterfly. And I mean no disrespect to the larvae or the pupae, but it really doesn't appear to be strenuous exercise, KWIM.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say I will learn to jog at my own pace, thank you very much.

I am starting a metamorphosis of my own. It is time.
For now, my chrysalis is in the basement. It's a little dusty from neglect, but that is only temporary. When spring comes, I would like to emerge....OK - enough of the metaphors. You all get it.

So tonight I started to jog. 5 minute warm-up, then 60 seconds of jogging, then 90 seconds of walking for a total of 25 minutes. Not too bad right?

Well, I did it. And I can't lie - it was friggin hard. After 10 minutes, I wanted to quit. After 15, I thought I was going to vomit. I didn't think I could make it to 25, but I have lived to tell the tale.

Ummm...can someone please call me in the morning to make sure I can move?

No comments:

Post a Comment