Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A weekend away

I just came back from a weekend away in Canmore with my BFF and two other moms I am happy to call my friends. We had a great time - good food, good laughs, good times, and something that is a real treat to mothers everywhere: hot coffee!

This was the fourth mothers' weekend I had attended and it was soooo nice to get away from MRL (my real life) for a couple of days. I always return re-charged and ready for the next six months of MRL.

But this weekend was sort of cathartic for me. My BFF has lost 25 pounds and she looks fantastic. I am so happy for her, but I am also a bit jealous. I have done nothing about my weight. It was the kick in the pants I needed.

On a side note, I have to make some observations about Calgary. I loved every minute of the 3 years we lived there, but I see the city differently now that we have moved to BC.

I couldn't help thinking that Calgary has lost its sheen. Calgary always seemed to glisten like diamonds. There was money everywhere, cranes populated the skylines and everyone was excited to see the growth.

Now, Calgary seems to be under a pervasive gloom. It has gone from diamonds to coal.

Last October, when I last was on the retreat, Calgary still felt like home. Now, BC is home. I was so relieved to see the green grass, the mountains, the ocean. While flying into Calgary, I had to locate the sun to figure out which direction was north. While flying back into Vancouver, I could recognize the bridges as we flew over them.

Anyways, the moral of the story here is that I have renewed my goal to get fit. I have to do this. Like Calgary, I have lost some of my sparkle and it is time to get it back.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it was just the weather.... lol.
    It was great to see you again. You are a wonderful person, so happy to know you and call you a good friend. Looking forward to hearing about your journey. Maybe it will kick me in the butt as well. {hug}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to have a place that is so comfortable that it is home? I get that feeling in Mexico...

    It was great to see you again. I too am happy to call you a friend.

    Nice to see you blogging again. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete