Monday, November 2, 2009

New month - new motivation

Here we go again....
For the first time in months, I woke up early and got on the treadmill.
My alarm clock went off at 5am, but I turned it off and rolled over to go back to sleep. But the strangest thing happened.

As I was drifting back into sleep, I could have sworn I heard a bell go off. It wasn't a clang, or a ring, or a ding, but more like the sound of a cowbell being hit. Once. I spent the next minute or two contemplating what exactly that noise was, when it occurred to me that I could be contemplating the great mystery while on the treadmill.

I never did get the chance to ponder where exactly sound came from. By the time I got downstairs, laced on my shoes, filled my BPA free water bottle and located my ipod, I was lost in thought about the next twenty minutes. And then I was on the treadmill and consumed with exasperation that I could find nothing good on TV at that hour. Unless you enjoy watching infomercials.

I took it easy today. I have learned not to jump in full-effort after I have been idle for so long. I know myself well enough to know that if I try to exercise like an athlete, I will give up long before I get anywhere.

So now I am experiencing sore legs from the incline. I have a slight headache since I increased my time between wake-up and caffeine intake. I am tired from waking up so early. And I am hungry and eyeing my son's grilled cheese sandwich while he is in gymnastics class. I am weighing the consequences of eating some of his sandwich (read: my son's meltdown) versus staying hungry a little longer. When you love food as much as I do, that is not an easy choice.

I'll wait. My younger son is very...ummmm...vocal about things. He has no problem telling people off, and I really don't want to be publicly berated by a four-year-old. I am just not that hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment