Monday, January 17, 2011

Laughing out loud

I recognize that humour is completely subjective and some things I find funny, others won't get at all.  What makes some people laugh, makes me angry.  But I have always had a sense of humour about myself and have been quick to laugh when a good joke is told at my expense.

For example: I was married before I  met the love of my life.  It was a bad marriage from start to ugly finish and I should never have married the guy.  But and I did and it has made me richer in a lot of ways.

The joke here was made by one of my very best friends.  I was separated from husband #1, shacked up with soon-to-be-husband #2 and pregnant with our first child.  Essentially, my good friend pointed out, I was married to one man, living with another and pregnant with a bastard child - all that was missing was the trailer.

I still laugh out loud at that one.

The legacy of my first husband was that he had me believe I was, among other things, a lousy cook.  Of all the hurtful things he said and did, this was the one that really stung, especially when criticism was delivered after I had worked hard to make dinner.

"How do you expect to ever be able to take care of a baby when you can hardly take care of us?"

Asshole.

Now that I truly am a stay-at-home mom I have had time to prove to myself that I am an awesome cook and baker.  True, some of my more daring experiments don't always work out.  My current husband has learned that if you don't like something I made, tell me.  It won't hurt my feelings, and if you pretend to like it, I am going to make it again.


On the weekend, I made a chicken pot pie that I had to hide so hubby would not eat the whole thing.  And he kept telling me how good it was, so many times in fact, that I was almost embarrassed.  The boys  loved it too which, as anyone with kids will agree, is the true test.

My kids always tell me that no one makes chocolate chip cookies as good as I do and they gobble up my tomato sauce that is loaded with pureed veggies they don't even know are there.

So even though I still have pangs of pain, the joke is on hubby #1.  I found my niche and my happiness and a family that is grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment